Sunday, March 21, 2010

brevity

I could write a novel, but I won't. My energy is gone and has been gone for weeks, it feels like.
Our three weeks in the North were divided up into several different parts. We went to Armagh, Belfast (and a brief, glorious weekend at Corrymeela) and finally Derry. I think that I felt the most at home in Belfast - maybe because we stayed in dormitories, and I felt as if I had a space of my own. I can't say that I got to know the city very well during 9 days, but I found places that I could sort of lay claim to (the fruit and veg shop down the street from the college, for one). I think I will return there for two or three weeks in April to do research for my big paper.

Corrymeela was a beautiful burst of sun and sea and being able to sink toes into grass and laugh unrestrained.


We were in Derry at a tense time - the Bloody Sunday inquiry was due to be released (but was pushed back again, much to the frustration of many), dissident activities were picking up again, and it was St. Patrick's day, which meant that a lot of Tricolors were flowed and worn. Everyday life wove itself in with all of this.

Coming back to Dublin felt a bit like coming home. Meabh looked at me with big eyes and said, "I missed you. We didn't play ANY cards while you were gone."
And after three weeks away, the trees have suddenly bloomed and front lawns are dotted with snowdrops and daffodils.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Clara. We're praying for renewed energy, and pockets of free time with quiet spaces in which to enjoy it!
    Think like a cat:
    Q: "Take a nap or conquer the world?"
    A: "Nap, nap, nap, nap, nap!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrymeela is a delicious word--and your time there sounds delicious. Hooray for snowdrops, Maebh's big eyes (not to mention her name), hooray for YOU. And naps! Fresh energy to you, Clara, and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, dear family! i've definitely been thinking like a cat this weekend. aunt jane, i'm enjoying the pics of you and etta - beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete